Surya Spotlight: Advanced Asanas with Steven Cheng

ASTAVAKRASANA-SMALL  RAJA KAPOTASANA

Asana is often described as a physical Yoga posture or position designed to aid in meditation and to strengthen the body.

Instructor, Steven Cheng from Surya Jersey City and Hoboken has been practicing asanas for 15 years.
The 42-year-old Yogi was certified with Dharma Mittra and has been teaching since 2006. On Sunday April 19th from 2-4pm, Steven will guide an Advanced Asanas class for students looking for a deeper and more exploratory practice.

“The curiosity and craving for more intensity is being addressed here in this 2-hour advanced asanas practice,” Cheng said.

What kind of flow will you be teaching in your Advanced Asanas practice?
Anyone coming to my classes on a regular basis knows I teach strong flow with lots of variations. Eventually, this 60-minute format is not enough for developing an advanced practice. There is the proper warm-up and then the full cool-down with a Savasana. You end up with only about 20 minutes to really explore asana sequencing.

Students started asking for a longer format in order to examine a wider range. Instead of one chance to explore a variation, how about three different ways-- and how does that promote the blossoming of the student's practice and understanding of this movement?

The prerequisites are a strong Crow Pose and a proficient Headstand because a strong Crow Pose indicates refined arms, shoulders, and core strength to support many arm-balancing poses and a proficient Headstand indicates a good sense of balance. Expect to try dropping back from inverted poses or asymmetry in arm-balancing to challenge your skills.

Many yogi's get discouraged when they can’t do certain poses or inversions, what advice do you give your students when they feel this way?

If you continue to practice regularly, the body gets stronger and more flexible. If you want that pose, whatever it is, get all the information you can from the teacher or do your own research, and after class is finished, take another 5 minutes to practice that skill. For example, if Tripod Headstand is what you want, after class ends you are still warm enough and are fully charged from Savasana to practice another 5 minutes on that specific pose. During class, you may get 5 breaths on trying that Headstand. It simply is not enough time for someone who cannot do a Headstand-- there was hardly enough time to set-up the pose. Spend extra time on that pose you really want and master that list of poses one at a time. That is the Ashtanga Yoga approach. You master the poses one at a time.

I encourage everyone to keep trying those elusive poses mindfully and intelligently. Work in productive ways to build on a pose. Within reason, nothing is impossible (note: there are times when structurally the body composition does not allow the pose to be achieved, like when you are touching bone to bone and there just is no more space to give for a certain pose).

What is the most difficult pose to learn and what's the best advice for trying to master it?
That is an impossible question to answer. But, I will say, one of the hardest things to learn is the discipline to practice and honor one's limits. Especially in hot yoga, students constantly want to push, push, and push. But pushing too hard is when injuries happen and that happens to everyone - students and teachers alike. To be mindful and discriminant in practicing productively, that is truly a masterful skill.

If a yogi is really trying to improve their practice and become more advanced, how many times a week should they practice either at home or at a Surya?
Doing anything once a week will gain very few benefits-- if a student wants to improve in a significant way, 3 or 4 practices a week is recommended. If they want to become advanced, they should practice 6 times a week with one full rest day. But I would alternate the intensity of the practice with a strong practice one day, and a basic/gentle/yin practice the next day. This way, the body continues to move and develop, yet it has the chance to recover with a low impact practice.

Through your years of practice, how did you learn to overcome a challenging pose?
I have no commitment to having to have to do any one pose because I have hundreds of other poses I can try to do that I have never done, or hundreds of other poses I can always refine-- so why struggle with any one pose? I accept that I can or cannot do this pose today. If I want I can work on it, or not. I don't get hung up on why I can't. Maybe I simply can't.

BOUND DHARMA DOG SPLIT ANTIQUE    EKA PADA KOUNDINYASANA II(1)

Namaste~

Lindsay Carlton
Surya Yoga Academy

Comments

Security Check
Please enter the text below
CaptchaImage
Can't read text above? Try another text.
petterson
Friday, Nov 16, 2018 1:30 am
petterson
Great Article it its really informative and innovative keep us posted with new updates. its was really valuable. thanks a lot phd dissertation Writing Service
msoffice
Saturday, Oct 27, 2018 6:03 am
msoffice

ms Office Support Number

ms Office Support phone Number ms Office Support Microsoft Office technical Support Microsoft Office help Microsoft Office Support Number USA Microsoft Office toll free Number Microsoft Office Support Number California Microsoft Office tech support number Microsoft Office Number AOL email service Microsoft Office Support No. ms Office care Number Microsoft Office costumer care number Microsoft Office Microsoft Office free pack get Microsoft Office website design company in us and uk software development in us Microsoft Office service number Microsoft Office technical support phone number Microsoft Office help number Microsoft Office solution Microsoft Office AOL email service AOL email service online AOL email service number

Fizzzzzzzy
Monday, Oct 15, 2018 3:59 am
Fizzzzzzzy
It is perfect time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you few interesting things or tips. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I want to read more things about it! MHR Writer
seflie
Tuesday, Sep 18, 2018 7:05 am
seflie
Nice blog, the article you have shared is good.This article is very useful. My friend suggest me to use this blog.
Rashpal singh dhaliwal
Rashpal singh dhaliwal
Rashpal singh dhaliwal
Melissa
Wednesday, Aug 8, 201812:55 pm
Melissa
I have heard that incident that occured in the year of 1966 and many people died including 116 children.The academized reviews remembered all the memories who died by that catastrophic collapse of that building.
seflie
Tuesday, Jul 3, 2018 5:04 am
seflie
Our academic pursuits, along with a range of extracurricular activities, help in honing a child's skills and ensuring that he/she grows to be a mature and responsible citizen.
best cbse school in greater noida Premium school in greater noida
seflie
Tuesday, Jul 3, 2018 5:03 am
seflie
Our journey started as frontrunner to bring Apple technology to the Indian subcontinent. Today, SRSG has emerged as one of the leading full-service player offering an array of products and services for system integration, broadcast consultancy, IT infrastructure services, maintenance services and digital archiving services for the broadcast industry.
Apple product dealers in delhi
Apple authorized service center in Kolkata
FM Channel License
Media office interiors
Apple Product Dealers in Ahmedabad
seflie
Friday, Jun 29, 2018 5:26 am
seflie
Engineering as a subject combines mathematics, logic and science to find solutions to our daily life problems. Over the last few decades, engineering as a profession has seen vast expansion.
Top Engineering College
Engineering college in punjab
MBA College in chandigarh
cgc placement
Top Agriculture college in chandigarh
Best Civil Engineering college in Punjab
Nexstair
Sunday, Jun 10, 2018 2:41 pm
Nexstair
I can set up my new idea from this post. It gives in depth information. Thanks for this valuable information for all,.. Corn
Nexstair
Saturday, Jun 9, 2018 4:35 am
Nexstair
Hi there, I found your blog via Google while searching for such kinda informative post and your post looks very interesting for me Food
Chevro
Thursday, Apr 26, 2018 7:29 am
Chevro
Everyone is trying to understood the values on surya spot light advanced articles. In this academy they are giving the ukbestessays and assignments for the academy article writers and others.